Thursday, January 11, 2007

Tax Glitches

The weather has yet to shut the area down totally, but it has caused some delays this week. Shop traffic has been off. I told Joy we should have winter hours 'til 5pm instead of 6pm. I sent her home early. Instead of worrying about the lack of business, I'm reveling in it. Some businessman I am. I've actually had some estimates to figure and some tax stuff to catch up on. Had a nice scare with the IRS yesterday and today when they said the State failed to show them that I'd paid any unemployment insurance taxes for the entire tax year of 2003. They said to get the state to "recertify" the year or else they'd ding us for close to $2500 plus interest and fines. That woke me up at 2am this morning wondering how that conversation with the State was going to go. When I got a moment around 11am I called and got a live person and reported what this IRS letter was claiming. The gal almost completed my sentence for me because the State had been flooded with calls like mine. She brought me up on her computer and said we had definitely paid all our taxes and said there was a glitch in communication between the State and the IRS (obviously). So all is well and the doubt I felt about doing something really stupid passed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home