Saturday, April 22, 2006

What, Me Worthy?


Nothing brings the fact that you've reached a certain age or left younger age behind like standing in line for a concert for a relatively obscure 80's musical icon (Thomas Dolby) and finding that everyone in that line is as old or older than you are. Gray streaks in the balding heads and beards. People with teenage kids trying to turn them on to what they were into then in their college or high school days. And as a younger set of "kids" drives by and looks at this line of old farts and wonders who Thomas Dolby is on the marquis, you begin to fall into the realization that you really are a world away from youth. I feel like I've been straddling that line for some time. Still interested in the things I was interested in 20 years ago doesn't make me younger at heart. It makes me part of a club that doesn't want to fully acknowledge its membership. We're older and more responsible and want our youth back or want to be recognized as still having a youthful perspective on things. It's just that the responsibilities that come with being older now have the floor and demand attention away from youthful pursuits. Oh boy, what a load of crap...

I should say that Mr. Dolby put on an excellent show. It's amazing what one performer can do these days with the right technical gear. He was surrounded by computers and synthesizers, rhythm machines and vintage electronic gizmos. As he twittered with knobs and keyboards the audience got to see things from his perspective on a screen behind him via a camera attached to his head. Very entertaining. And for all us folks who had been up so early to go to work that day it was nice to see it come to an end by a little after 10pm.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, being alive, no matter how old, beats the alternative! About half the people I know are dead.



J.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, being alive, no matter how old, beats the alternative! About half the people I know are dead.



J.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new member of the 40 and older crowd I can say life's never been better. I don't recognize a single song on the Top 40 chart -- or top 100 for that matter -- but it's fine with me.

I'm not young anymore and that's ok. A friend just told me life gets better after 40. I can't wait to find out!

Thanks for this blog Doug, you're a great writer and your entries make me think.

Rod Porsche

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doug,
Reading your blog site on attending the concert and finding out you are a couple of decades older than the normal attendees has to be a rude awakening. Dad and I have always felt younger than our actual age numbers and will continue to live our life without considering our ages until we are unable to function as we wish. Age is just a number and nothing else until you look in the mirror and are reminded that the years have indeed left their mark. The way to remedy that realization is to keep your mirrors in a drawer. Dad's favorite saying is, "I realize I am growing older but I refuse to grow up." Also, if you didn't know how old you are how old do you think you would be? Getting older has many rewards and we are very happy at this age to be able to so fully enjoy life. Just some food for thought.
Love, Mom

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home