Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dolby

Twenty-five years ago I was a sophomore or junior in high school. I was a nerdy kid with nerdy friends. The music video station, MTV, was a year or so old and actually played videos when it started out. They played this weird song by a nerdy British guy named Thomas Dolby called "She Blinded Me With Science." It was catchy and had a lot of neat sound effects and bordered on irritating after multiple listens, but I went out and bought the album anyway and played the hell out of it on my record player. There was so much more interesting stuff on that album than the popular "Science" track. I bought another album of his a few years later and liked it as well called "The Flat Earth." I gradually lost interest and moved on to other musical tastes but revisited Thomas Dolby occasionally and rediscovered why he was a groundbreaking electronic artist in a lot of respects if you're into that kind of thing. So I see he's doing a tour and will be visiting Portland on April 20th. A small club called The Aladdin showcasing a guy playing his 80's electronic hits to fans mostly in their 40's: sounds like my style. I'm still very much that nerdy kid with no apologies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

Go to the show. You will not regret it. Thomas is awesome live.

Cheers,

Merujo in Maryland

7:59 PM  
Blogger Buster Brown said...

I got my ticket this afternoon!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home