Saturday, April 01, 2006

Fool

I'm on a little rollercoaster this morning. I hooked up to the internet yesterday morning, three days earlier than expected. That was one small victory. Transferring the old files off the computer I'm donating to Mom is another story. I spent a couple frustrating evenings and a morning before work playing with cables and learning about networking computers to no avail. It all may come down to having the right kind of cable, so I'll give it one more shot before I throw this and all computers I come across into the dumpster. The other related thing is the attempt to make this new laptop wireless. The wireless router I bought says on the packaging how easy it is to make operate. Three hours last night and I'm ready to throw that in the dumpster too. So you see, I'm not the computer whiz you might think I am. The only reason I will succeed eventually is because I'm insane enough to spend the countless hours trying to figure it out. The more rational person would give up or just not do this crap to begin with. Actually, what will end up happening is I'll probably hire somebody to help me. Jeff, our audio/video man, made an appearance Friday and hooked the stereo, TV and DVD player up so we can at least enjoy movies and music. Someday we'll have satellite TV hooked up and Joy will be able to watch her home fix-it shows. In the mean time, she's puttering around the house, spending our hard-earned dollars at Bed, Bath and Beyond, hanging pictures, getting us settled in. All the while we're dealing with an ever-increasing workload. We just put $24000 into the new roof at the shop. And the next few weekends see us sorting through outdated racks in the showroom to make room for more of a tile and natural stone statement. When customers walk through the door they've been inundated with a tremendous amount of carpet choices off lots of racks. We're hoping to scale back the number of carpet racks and share the focus with tile, an increasing part of our business.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Doug,

Regarding transferring the hard drive "contents" of a computer -- you probably know this, but there are software programs for swapping out all the files from one computer to another -- you can get them at any computer/office supply store, maybe even online. Or maybe you're talking about issues beyond that.

Yeah, computers are a trade off -- the web is great, but you lose privacy as well, and they can be a hassle.


Jonathan

8:38 AM  
Blogger Buster Brown said...

Yeah,
I'm aware of those programs. You're supposed to be able to use what comes with the current Windows XP on my laptop to do basically the same thing. I think it's boiling down to what's called a crossover ethernet cable which I need to rob from my current set up at work or buy for $15 from Office Depot. The wireless stuff is what I really want to get a handle on.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home