Thursday, July 27, 2006

Thoughts On 15 Years

Joy and I have our 15th wedding anniversary today. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to put down some words on what it's all supposed to mean to me, but what the hell. This is some kind of milestone when you look at the divorce rate in this country. With my parents celebrating 45 years recently, it doesn't seem like that long at all. So I guess I always pictured when and if I got married, it would be for the long haul by way of their example.

It didn't hurt to cross paths with a lady in college who had an adventurous spirit, but was still grounded in the old-fashioned values that I consciously or unconsciously found appealing. And when I finished school and tried to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, she wrote and called from hundreds of miles away, keeping the thought of her in my mind. The proposal came in the form a letter and I remember writing "what about us?" We gathered a group of family and friends on my parents' front lawn and made a memorable day of things.

What can I say about our relationship that won't get me in trouble? The chemistry hasn't changed much. We're extremely different people in many areas. I wouldn't call it an outwardly romantic thing. We are friends that spend a lot of time together, can't imagine being without one another for very long periods. We've always given each other space, but we're together on the things that matter the most. I don't know why we get along so well and I don't want to over analyze it. We're lucky it works. Profound patience on both our parts, maybe, and general acceptance of each other's foibles and strengths. She became a part of me and life would be empty without her.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 15 great years!

As you admire your parents 45 years of marriage, we follow your lead. Having friends who make it work inspires us to do the same. We celebrate our 5 year anniversary on Aug. 4th.

Thank you, Doug and Joy!

Rod and Kate Porsche

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home